Friday, January 9, 2009

let's talk about a clean start!

ok, so....i finally got ALL of Christmas down...well, i DID leave up a couple snowmen and a bowl of pinecones, after ALL...it is still winter, tho here in the South, it doesn't feel like a true winter...you know, without all the storms, ice, power outages, sidewalk shoveling...slipping on the ice, breaking bones from the fall.....no slush in the streets.....no heavy coats, boots, scarves, mittens.......hmmmmmm.....i don't know if i really miss all that or NOT!!!....maybe NOT!!!......i do, however, miss the beauty of the snow and the icicles and the clear blue winter skies of the midwest! having said all that.....every Jan. always brings for most everyone a feeling of "newness" or refreshment, or maybe a time to start over and to do better......well, i haven't really had that feeling until yesterday, when i had my first opportunity to take Christmas down, tho it saddened me....i was especially fond of my tree this year..... i love the warmth and coziness it brings to our little townhouse....but in the same breath....i love taking it down and neatly (or not ?) putting it away for another year.....and the feeling of freshness and cleaning up the debris from a leftover, albeit wonderful Christmas....tho my house looks a little bare.......it is a look i like......a cleaned up look, a fresh look.....maybe even a look that is READY for something NEW!!!.......like new paint color......or maybe new pictures....or maybe a different arrangement....i know you understand, huh? us womenfolk seem to need to change and "add" new accessories......and for me, in particular, doing so is really a delightful and joyous thing! can i get a witness???
along with this feeling of a fresh start also comes the dreaded elephant in the room problem...the number ONE resolution...LOSING WEIGHT...ugh......i hate the word, i hate the thought, i hate the process, i hate talking about it, i hate people who OBSESS over it, i hate it when you sit down to a wonderful meal and someone reminds you how many calories is in the dish that you just HEAPED your plate full of.......yeah, you know what i mean.......but nevertheless......the elephant can't be ignored......and MANY of us need to do it......ugh again.......and i am NO exception......
i will tell you, one good thing about being OLD (in body, not mind and spirit) is that i NO longer wish to be thin....(not that i ever WAs.....ha ha)...but i DO want to be HEALTHY.....so along with that wish MUST come some weight loss......
Larry and i have resolved to "work" on this problem.....we started slowly before Christmas.....pretty much fell off the wagon during Christmas.....but not too bad......and now we are back ON the proverbial wagon....we are just trying to be sensible....you know.......less carbs.....less calories....good choices......less sugar......more water.....more fiber......etc.
what we lack is EXCERCISE......oh my goodness.....i hate it.....i HATE to sweat.....but i am going to try to walk......i know it is a good start.....so wish me luck.....
well i have touched on the "biggies".....now what about a fresh relationship with Christ??
just like i am ready for something new in my living room.....i am ready for the Lord to show me something new, something fresh....
i desire that so much and will be amending my devotional time this year, that i may grow in Christ....how bout YOU?
lastly, i am going to insert some great words from one of my fave author's....Max Lucado.....
Happy Fresh Start to each of you!

Love God more than you fear hell
Once a week, let a child take you on a walk.
Make major decisions in a cemetery
When no one is watching, live as if someone is.
Succeed at home first
Don't spend tomorrow's money today
Pray twice as much as you fret.
Listen twice as much as you speak
Only harbor a grudge when God does.
Never outgrow your love of sunsets
Treat people like angels; you will meet some and help make some
'Tis wiser to err on the side of generosity than on the side of scrutiny
God has forgiven you; you'd be wise to do the same.
When you can't trace God's hand, trust his heart
Toot your own horn and the notes will be flat
Don't feel guilty for God's goodness.
The book of life is lived in chapters, so know your page number
Never let the important be the victim of the trivial.
Live your liturgy.

To sum it all up:Approach life like a voyage on a schooner. Enjoy the view. Explore the vessel. Make friends with the captain. Fish a little. And then get off when you get home.
the following is from Our Daily Bread:

What if you were to ask God what He wants you to change, improve, or begin this year? He might tell you to:
* Demonstrate more of the fruit of the Spirit in your life, which is “love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control” (Gal. 5:22-23).
* “Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who . . . persecute you” (Matt. 5:44).
* “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15).
* “Be content with such things as you have” (Heb. 13:5).
* “Walk according to His commandments” (2 John 1:6).
As believers and new creations, we can be free from old patterns and failures. We must ask God to help us live each day in the power of the Holy Spirit. Then we can shed the old and embrace the new (2 Cor. 5:17). —Cindy Hess Kasper
How can we live to please the Lord?By knowing what He says to doAnd trusting in the Spirit’s strengthTo make us into someone new. —Sper
Resolutions are easier to keep when you rely on God.

3 comments:

Deare Diary said...

Yes you get a wtiness from me...Amen. I agree with everything you said. I desire(and need)to make changes in my house, my physical house(body), and my spiritual house. I am making an effort to make these necessary changes in 2009. I even have a new exercise machine. I also love the flower at the end of your post. It reminds me of a pair of praying hands. Here's to getting in shape together!
Judy

Julie said...

Amen Sister... I couldn't have said it better myself! Let's hear it for fresh starts! I'm on a mission to put past sadness behind me and fresh focus in front of me. You expressed everything I have been thinking about these past few days. Just know I am on the weight thing with ya....one pound at a time. :-) My exercise right now consists of running up and down the stairs as we continue to clean the basement!! help! :-O

Sandy Mastroni said...

dear Sandi , Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog ...
I am so happy to have a new friend in Christ . I read some of your blog ... I loved the one on hope .
I needed to read it this morning !
SO, I will put your name in the drawing .
If you have any friends that might like to visit me , please tell them
I would love to meet MORE people who know and love Jesus !
it is SO nice to meet you Sandi !
PS I love reading Max too .
and I like Andrew Wommack
Praise God
It's so wonderful to write here
Praise God Praise God !